How to Find Thomas Paine's Cottage
Kent is principally served by London Gatwick and London Heathrow airports, cars can be hired from these airports. Taxi travel is best booked in advance. Train services into London are very regular where links to Sandwich can be taken from Victoria and Charing Cross stations.
- Gatwick 79 miles
Follow the exit signs and join the M23. Leave the M23 at Junction 8 for the M25. On the M25, exit on Junction 5 with M26. From the M26 take the M20. Leave at Junction 7 and take the A249 for about 6 miles. Join the M2. Follow directions detailed below.
- Heathrow 105 miles
Follow the exit signs to the M4. Exit at Junction 4b for the M25. On the M25, exit on Junction 5 with M26. From the M26 take the M20. Leave at Junction 7 and take the A249 for about 6 miles. Join the M2. Follow directions detailed below.
From London take the M2, exit at Junction 7 (where the motorway runs into the A299) and turn off the roundabout onto the A2 (sign posted to Canterbury).
- After about 7 miles turn left following the signs to Canterbury and Sandwich.
- Go straight across the next roundabout into Rheims Way and turn right at the next roundabout.
- Go straight across the next two roundabout's, then turn right off the next into St. George's Place (cinema on the right).
- Just before the traffic lights (Safeway on the left) turn left into Lower Chantry Lane.
- Turn right at the roundabout onto the A257, keep following the signs to Sandwich, passing through Littlebourne and Wingham.
- At the roundabout go straight across, after half a mile you cross over the level crossing and enter Sandwich.
- Turn right in front of the Bell Hotel follow the road turning right into New Street where the road forks.
Regular train sevices run from London (Victoria & Charing Cross) to Sandwich. Journey time is approximately 2 hours. If arriving via the Eurostar there is a train service linking Ashford to Sandwich. Sandwich station is a 5 minute walk from Thomas Paine's cottage.